LCHF-style stuffed chicken according to the traditions of Azerbaijani cuisine. Maria Sorokina tells how to cook chicken with lavangi.
Stuffed chicken is a common dish. In the culinary traditions of many countries it is customary to stuff poultry. Most Americans will have a turkey for Thanksgiving. However, the classic stuffing is not suitable for keto supporters. But we have a great fatty version of turkey.
Lavangi or Levengi is the common name for stuffed dishes in Azerbaijani and Iranian cuisine. They stuff fish, poultry, game. There are many recipes, but the basis is always the same – nuts, butter and plums, which give sourness and flavor. we replaced them with more suitable for keto barberry.
Chicken with lavangi is also a great alternative to turkey for Thanksgiving if you’re a rebel. Or a non-boring dinner on any other day.
Traditionally, it is baked in a special earthy “tendir” oven, which gives the dish an incredible flavor. But in the conditions of a city apartment you can also make a very tasty dish. Today I will tell you how to make “Toyug lavangi” – stuffed chicken.
- 1 chicken (whole)
- 1 onion
- 30 g barberry
- 100 g walnuts
- 50 g ghee
- 30 g butter
- salt, pepper, spices
- Wash dried barberries, pour boiling water over them, and let them stand for 10-15 minutes. Roast the walnuts in the oven or a pan for about 15 minutes, then chop them in a blender.
- Finely chop or mince an onion in a blender. Sauté in oil until soft.
- Drain the water from the barberries. Mix it with onions and nuts. Salt and pepper to taste. Stuffing lavangi ready. You can make a lot at once and store it in the freezer for several months.
- We take a chicken. Preferably a farmer's chicken, with was walking on the lawn, pecking at worms, grass, and grains. We clean the insides of the chicken and wash it. Dry chicken with a paper towel, salt, and pepper.
- Fill the inside of the chicken with stuffing. In the traditional version, it is sewn up with string, I close it with wooden toothpicks. We put it in a baking dish and cover the top with foil. We put it in the oven for an hour at 356 degrees. Usually, I cook a chicken weighing 500-700 grams. If you have a bird of a larger size, you can keep it in the oven for 1.5 hours. Covered with foil, the chicken will not dry out or burn.
- After an hour we take the chicken out of the oven and wrap it in foil, just the part with the stuffing. Cover the chicken with a piece of butter. We put it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes and let the bird brown. Yummy stuffed chicken with lavangi is ready!