Smoky, fatty, bright – it’s a match! Shakshuka is perfect for a weekend breakfast, but we’re against convention, so we suggest making it for lunch and dinner as well.
If you are still convinced that spinach shakshuka is simply scrambled eggs and tomatoes, you are partly right. Its base is tomatoes, onions, and hot peppers. And then the magic begins – depending on the ingredients, you get your custom shakshuka. Here’s a tried-and-true version with spinach and smoked paprika.
Here’s another secret: when making shakshuka, try not to fry the eggs, but rather to simmer them. And keep an eye on them so that the yolks stay runny. Then, take a keto flatbread or keto bread and dip it in a warm, spicy tomato gut, snag a runny egg yolk, and om-nom-nom.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- ½ tsp salt (himalayan or marine)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (or homemade tomato sauce)
- 300 g tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200 g spinach (fresh)
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 4 eggs
- Prepare the ingredients. Peel the garlic and onion and finely chop them with a knife. Scald the tomatoes in boiling water, remove the skin and also cut them.
- Pour olive oil into a pan with a thick bottom. As soon as it's hot, throw in the garlic, turn down the heat, and add the onions. Fry them until lightly golden.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt. Braise over medium heat until the tomatoes are softened. If the mass is too thick, add a couple of spoons of water. Add cumin and paprika. Braise for a couple of minutes to break up the spices.
- Add spinach, a few at a time. Stir vigorously. Cover and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the spinach to drain.
- Make 4 wells in the mass and beat the eggs. Sprinkle in the chili flakes. Cover the pan with a lid and continue to cook for another 4 minutes. The whites should set, and the yolks should remain liquid. You can sprinkle your favorite herbs on the eggs. Bon appetit!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 30g