Olena Islamkina shares a recipe of a classic cocktail Amaretto whiskey sour in its keto version. A bit of sweetness, a bit of bitterness, some solid sourness. And almost zero carbs.Jump to Recipe
These crazy keto people add eggs to everything, right? Actually, this classic Amaretto sour recipe includes eggs anyway. To make it the keto Amaretto whiskey sour we need to find a good substitute for Amaretto, a liquor made from almond and for syrup (a liquid made from evil, I mean, sugar). The answer came in an influencer kit from SweetLeaf (hi, my name is Olena and I’m an influencer).
Among the limited edition Monk Fruits Concentrate Flavors I found it, Almond Amaretto Concentrate (it also fits perfectly with my Amaretti)
Keep in mind that even though this Amaretto sour recipe is a zero sugar drink, it still alcohol. It won’t trow you out of ketosis, but on the keto diet you become drunk faster and suffer from hungover more than on carby diet.
How much calories and carbs in Amaretto sour
The classic Amaretto sour is made from Amaretto liquor, which is high in sugar, but it also contains simple syrup (pure evil, I mean, sugar). In the Keto Amaretto Sour the only carbs are from lemon, only 2g for a drink.
But even a low-carb drink won’t have zero calories. Alcohol is high in calories and it’s a source of energy that our body prioritizes. If you are on the keto diet for weight loss, postpone cocktails for later.
Because of sugar and Amaretto, the classic cocktail contains 3 times more calories than the keto Amaretto sour.
How to make Amaretto whiskey sour cocktail without..
- …syrup and Amaretto. I used Almond Amaretto concentrate. It’s a substitute syrup and gives the bitter almond taste. I would suggest to experiment with proportions. I’ve been on the keto diet for 10 years, so my receptors are very sensitive to sweet taste, I don’t use much of a sweetener even for dessert. If you are just a beginner, you may want to use more of a sweetener and less of lemon juice. You can substitute part of lemon juice with water. You can make a simple syrup using allulose (just melt it in warm water and bring to simmer) to get more sweetness.
- …shaker and drainer. I used a hand mixer to beat the egg white and then a jar to mix the cocktail with ice. A regular kitchen drainer (I use it for poached eggs cooking) works as well as a special cocktail drainer.
- …cocktail cherries. Decorate your cocktail with olives, capers or just a piece of lemon and zest.
- 2 ounces 4 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 ounce 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 15-20 drops Almond Amaretto Concentrate
- For the garnish: a piece of lemon
- 2 tbsp water optional
- Add the whiskey, Almond Amaretto Concentrate lemon juice, water, egg white to a cocktail shaker without ice. (Or use a bowl and a mixer). Shake for 15 seconds.
- Add the ice to the cocktail shaker. Shake again for 30 seconds.
- Strain the drink into a glass. Decorate.