Goose is a great and delicious poultry. But it is difficult to cook it. It is difficult to keep the balance so that it turns out fried but juicy. Save the goose, juicy! With a super goose recipe from a chef.
Roast goose is not so much rare as it is a very rare dish on an American’s table. It is something out of Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol in Prose,” not a family dinner. But we suggest you take a chance! And here’s a goose recipe that even a beginner can handle.
Plus, it could be a delicious part of a Victorian-style party!
The goose is as wonderful as insidious: it tends to dry out when cooked in the oven. The mother-in-law of our subscriber is the restaurant chef, so you can trust her. She shared a secret of juicy goose recipe – before baking, you need to boil it until almost done. Thinking, the meat will taste like boiled? We bet, it will be juicy, soft, melting in your mouth and with a fantastic crusty skin.
Bonus: during cooking, the smell won’t spoil the whole of your apartment, you won’t have to wait for three hours, and then scrub the baking sheet for another two – it will be almost clean. Let’s try!
- 3 kg goose
- 4 tbsp goose fat (it will appear during cooking)
- 4 tbsp sugar-free soy sause
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- black pepper
- chilli pepper
- Put the goose in a pan, fill it with water, salt well, and cook it on a stove. For how long?
- The rule is: cook it after boiling for as many hours as many kilograms is the bird: 3 kg goose will be ready in 3 hours. The time may vary, depending on the breed and age. It is logical, that if the goose is as old as Adam, you will be waiting for it for ages. Check the meat with a skewer or a toothpick – it should easily enter the drumstick or breast meat.
- Ready? Take the bird out and let it cool. In no case do not pour out the broth! When it cools down, we’ll collect goose fat from that!
- Wait for the goose to cool down. Mix the collected fat (3-4 tablespoons), with an equal amount of a high-quality soy sauce, your favorite spices, black pepper, paprika, some chili, and pour over the goose. Don't rub! It is easy to damage the skin when it is cooked.
- Put the goose in a baking bag and send it to the fridge for at least 4 hours, ideally overnight or even more.
- Next is the easiest part. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F. Put the marinated goose out of the bag and cook in the oven for 1 hour. Periodically, pour it with fat collected from the broth.
- 15 minutes before the goose is ready, grease it with mayonnaise and leave under the grill until golden brown.
- You can stuff the goose with a mixture of broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels sprouts. Don’t be afraid, for an hour in the oven, veggies won’t turn into a mash.