Zucchini lasagna rolls with no mince, no gluten, with lot of cheese and a lot of excitement.
Lasagna is probably the second most popular Italian dish. The first, of course, is pizza. In the zucchini season, when you are already tired of all the familiar recipes, try zucchini lasagna rolls. And what’s Italian about them? A good question. Ricotta, mozzarella, and marinara will be responsible for the taste of Italy – a traditional sauce of Italian sailors. Sounds pretentious, cooked easily: tomatoes, basil and garlic, salt, olive oil and that’s it. If you want, you can use any other tomato sauce, such as classic salsa.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 zucchini (medium size)
- 130 g ricotta
- 1 egg (can be removed if you don't eat eggs)
- 50 g parmesan (or another hard cheese)
- 50 g mozzarella (for pizza)
- basil (fresh, couple of leaves)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For marinara sause
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500 g tomatoes (in own juice)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 sprigs basil (fresh or 1 tsp dried)
- Let’s start with the sauce. Heat the olive oil, crush the garlic and send to the oil. When it turns golden, add the tomato paste and stir for about a minute. Mash tomatoes with juice and send to garlic oil with pasta. Add basil sprigs, salt, pepper, and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about half an hour. Take the basil and garlic out. The sauce is ready!
- Preheat the oven to 200oC /390oF. Cut zucchini into 4 long strips. The side ones should also be long and flat. Put strips on a baking sheet, salt, pepper, and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Mix ricotta, an egg, parmesan, finely chopped basil leaves, and salt. Spread the mixture over baked zucchini strips and roll up.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Lay down the rolls, pour them with the sauce, and sprinkle with grated mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes at 200oC /390oF. Buon appetito!
The sauce can be stored in a sealed jar in a fridge for up to 4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 13g